I want SportsPress to...

A Merge Player/Team/Event Utility

Duplicate players/teams/events will appear over time, by accident normally but to merge the data between them is difficult and time consuming (especially players).

If we were able to tag two objects (sp_player, sp_team, etc) and flag them for merging, there could be a page for choosing which records are to be kept for which id and then putting them together, either in a new player id or pick one during the merging process.

This would be invaluable for a sportspress deployment with large numbers of registered players (and subsequently events).

7 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Scott Smith shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1 comment

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Andrew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Even an option in the dropdown on the players/events etc page, where multiple lines could be checked, and then there is an option for "merge" could be a quicker way of doing it, if giving less options

I currently do something similar when I need to merge player records using SQL:
        UPDATE wp_postmeta
        SET `meta_value` = REPLACE(`meta_value`,'[ID TO BE REPLACED]', '[ID TO BE RETAINED]')

This replaces the "wrong" player id with the correct one in all instances where it appears in the wp_postmeta table, which means the correct player then appears in any and all games the duplicate player did appear. Stats etc are then correct as well. The incorrect player still exists, simply without having played any games etc. Only drawbacks of this process are:
        a) incorrect record still exists
        b) any seasons/competitons etc added to the wrong player are not brought across

These issues could perhaps be resolved with the more comprehensive merge screen suggested in the initial post

Feedback and Knowledge Base